Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Getting Organized

Being a distractible personality doesn't help.

Granted, we just returned to WA state and I'm trying to get transitioned to the other environment, sorting out the studio and house.......

But distraction is a problem. It was the bane of my existence when I was a child. (Although, I must admit, it was like tickling your brain and most entraining.) In school, a teacher would say something that would set me into an imagination spin, galloping off into the land of 'what if' and I would suddenly realize that time had past and I hadn't heard a thing for several minutes. I would get in a lot of hot water over this.

It still happens. Only today, there's even more things to pull your thoughts every which way.

Take YouTube for instance. You can chase some thread for hours just letting whatever lead from one thing to another, playing out until you have gone completely off what started the whole thing in the first place.

It doesn't help that I'm the Queen of Collecting Random Facts. No one in my family will play Trivia Pursuit with me any more. I nearly always win. (One of my favorite things to do is watch TV and try and figure out what's wrong with the patient before "House" does.)

Anyway

All this caused me to order a book about how to get a grip on this runaway disorganization thing and take better control of myself. So far, I haven't even opened the book. I'm nearly afraid to. Maybe it will change my whole life. Maybe it will make me a very dull person indeed. We'll see.

To be continued.

Whenever I get the things done enough

to the point that I want to get them done

before I completely devote all my attention to delving into this 'getting organized thing.'



Soon.

I promise.

But right now, I have about 5 things I need to do first.

2 comments:

Sister Creek Potter said...

Probably many of us--your readers--share your 'disorder'--I know I do. So, I am wishing you'd share the name of the book that may help overcome the 'distraction syndrome'.
I love reading your blog maybe especially because of its diversity--which is probably an expression that same 'problem'. So I'm not sure I really want you to get a lot of help! Gay

Clay and Fiber Artist said...

Heh

The title is ADD-Friendly ways to Organize your Life by Judith Kolberg & Kathleen Nadeau.

It's an interesting design, this book. First of all, it's big. Guess you won't misplace it so easily. The front is red and white--easy to see.

It looks like a workbook, and I guess it is--sorta like ADD for Dummies.

I just had to chuckle at the design--short chapters, bullets-like points, arrows for signifying points, boxed features. Yes. They know who they're talking to.