Sunday, September 4, 2011

Veggie Porcelain






























































Just playing around with left over pieces of clay, I made these little pill/needles cases that can double as Christmas tree ornaments.

It's fun to try new ideas like this.




Each piece is about 2 inches long: A bunch of celery, carrots and beets and a single asparagus spear.

They are hand molded, hollowed out and a tiny cork is glued in to make a stopper.

They are glazed with a clear glaze and an application or layers of liquid stain thinned with water to make the finish look like watercolor.

I worked from light to dark, layering color over the last after it dried. I couldn't get a vivid red for the beets, so I used fingernail polish just as you would use a lacquer--after all, that's really what it is.

Maybe I should think of making fruit and vegetable whistles?

2 comments:

Sister Creek Potter said...

How cute! The cork is glued in at the end of the process, right?

Clay and Fiber Artist said...

Yes, they take the smallest cork I could find.

I wish I knew how to make a different kind of stopper, but to date, a cork is the best solution.