Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ron Mueck

I just discovered the work of Ron Mueck, a hyper-realistic sculpture who works in fiberglass and silicon. His figures are so realistic, you expect them to breathe.


**Segway Alert**Michelangelo's 'David' is like that. When I walked into the room where David stands in Florence, I realized I was holding my breath, unconsciously at first, waiting for him to breathe.

I wonder if Michelangelo was aware of images of Alexander......more than likely.

There's a real similarity between the face of that sculpture and those depicting Alexander the Great.

But I was talking about Ron Mueck. And Mueck creates extremely realistic figures. His attention to detail is incredible. This is intriguing enough to make us look closely at his work, but he does yet another thing to further focus our attention. He changes the scale of his subjects to either 1/2 to 1/3 size of the real thing or he builds giants.

A 30 minute video located at blip.tv/file94203 shows the process of making the figures.

No comments: