Tuesday, October 7, 2008

In the Studio

I have a couple of projects in the works right now. I'm finally listening to myself about doing two of each thing I make, BUT I have this problem about doing the same thing twice--I just can't seem to be able to do it.

It's always the question, "Can I do this better?" or "Let's tweek this and try that."

That's not such a bad thing.....but I start out to make two of the same thing and it always goes sideways. Must be in my genes. Like Alice of the Looking Glass, "I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."

Case in Point: I'm working on two tall square teapots. They're hand-built using the same pattern pieces, but the first one was to be a variation on a previous teapot that sold through the gallery. I only have one prototype in my collection, so I decided to make another.








So, here it is in the unfired clay. Bigger spout, larger 'vines', no feet, bigger pot all the way around, but the same idea. It will have the same kind of cane handle when it's finished. I'll fire it in white and add some India ink to the crackles. Technically, it is a functional pot.






Okay, that's teapot number 1. Teapot number 2 was supposed to be the same, but.......then.......I put it all together into the 3-D form and started listening to the clay.

I just finished the lid this morning.

The whole thing just screams shino glaze.

4 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

I am so glad to see someone with the same problem as me. I tweak everything that is supposed to be the same as the first one. Also thinking, well, what would happen......
Let's just embrace that quirk and go with it shall we!?

Clay and Fiber Artist said...

Yup.

Somehow, at least for me, making multiples just isn't inspiring. When I REALLY try to make exact duplicates, the second, third and so on just don't seem to have the same spirit as the first.

Whenever I make sets of cups, the only thing consistent is the weight of the clay and general design. In other words, I prefer families to clones. heh

"Target not, I am."
--the clay Yoda

Anonymous said...

I love the first teapot.

Clay and Fiber Artist said...

Hi, Deborah,

The square teapots are sorta my trademark. Some day I should photograph the evolution of this design.

I started out with a large square pot, moved to a smaller one, then redesigned it to a rectangular one. Two of those like the green one here, are in 500 Teapots along with a thrown white teapot.

The second pot in "In the Studio" was designed with a certain glaze in mind--one that will break nicely and show up well on a sharply vertical form.