Thursday, June 25, 2009

Worth Repeating

Yesterday, I was transferring jpegs from my old computer to my laptop. And I ran across this tray I did a couple of years ago. It is a variation of several trays of this design. I find it to be very satisfying to make. The glaze technique always gives good results.

Here's how you do it:

Dip a piece into the base color. In this case, it is white. Use wax resist and a fine brush to block out leaf/branch forms or whatever you desire. You can roll the brush in your hand while to paint to produce a lovely variation in the line.

Load up a pitcher with contrast glaze and, holding the piece at an angle over a catch bucket, pour the darker glaze over the white undercoat. Voila! Something like the example.

A couple of times, I've splashed dots of an even darker glaze over the top. One day, I'll try blocking out a second area with resist and applying a third glaze just to see what happens.

No comments: