By making two lids in the first place, there is always got another one to fall back on.
So, after a while, I have a lot of different kinds of lids. And most of them are just about the same sizes too.
I tend to make 3 to 4 inch openings on teapots. So after looking at the lids today, I am thinking if I made uniform openings, I would have a lot more interchangeable lids.
Take the the short teapot in the picture, for instance. This time I made only one lid. And I wasn't all that happy with it.
While checking out my lid stash, I found one I like a lot better. It's a little loose, so I'm thinking when the pot is glazed and fired, the alternate lid should fit well. I'll have to fire it on a stilt since it has glaze already.
The glaze is an iron glaze. I had planned to make this pot totally black.
But, I like the lid so much, I think I'll tweek the whole glaze plan and lay down some subtle layers of iron first, then glaze with black. I'll put another layer of black glaze on the lid.
It should be interesting....