Thursday, October 18, 2012

Woo Hoo



Just got notified I was accepted into the 38th Annual "Toys Designed by Artists" at the Arkansas Arts Center in Little Rock! See "Where You Can See My Work" section at the right for details.

This is the third or fourth time I've been selected for this show, always with ray guns.

The rings at the back are really disposable snap-together plastic party wine glass bottoms. The kind you buy in bulk for big parties.

I was cleaning out a basement wine and storage area when I saw these bases on a shelf. Bingo! There was the part I've been looking for to complete this ray gun. It has been sitting in parts on a table in my studio for some time.

The piece is really was made in four parts. Two separate sections of the main body were thrown on the wheel as was the back section. The grip was hand formed and is hollow.

When it was in the leather hard state (soft-ish), I carved and fitted the grip to the body assuring that it would balance. I always wanted to put this ray gun together with another, added component, but just couldn't find anything that worked until I saw those disposable wine bases.

Now, I'm on the look-out for anything glass or plastic that might have possibilities. Even considering snapping the base off a glass wine glass and using the top like the one in the September 5th post. The plastic top to the disposable glass didn't work out as well as the bases did. The Goop glue tended to cloud the glass. I'm sure a glass top would work much better.


Uh oh, I hear the siren hoarding call.  Every time I watch that program, I go clean out a drawer or something.




No comments: