Thursday, January 31, 2013

Intriguing Image

I've had this jpeg knocking around on my desktop for some time now.

Don't know the origin, but I find it an interesting idea. What is conveyed is a message of anxiety. The facial expression; a Madonna-ish moulding of the face reminescent of early Spanish alter pieces. The position of the shoulders and arms, especially the slightly off-kilter of the neck and shoulders showing uncertainty; the hands. The stiffness of the posture, the starkness of the clothing treatment, all these elements instantly telegraph worry, dread, a holding in, restraint, correctness, stress.


I'm reminded of the Renaissance busts of young women and old dolls. And although they don't show the emotion that this image does, the appearance is similar.

I wonder if I could make one like this, but in my own style. Maybe not life size, as I feel this one must be. I would probably make one that would be a little easier to live with......

How would I construct it? The balance would be tricky to say nothing of the process of drying it without cracks. Maybe not so much body, thicker arms (and a less worried expression) would be a workable modification of the idea.

Maybe the trick of attacking it to a clay backing in exaggerated bas relief would work.

Or, as one clay figure sculpture artist I know dose it, make components that are later attached together on a support concealed inside. Like the places where clothing overlaps the figure.

And maybe a watercolor-y surface treatment.



I'm thinking a small experimental try would be the best.


No comments: